FESTIVE FIXTURE President's Select XV vs Chairman's Select XV.
A very wet run up to the day meant a pitch inspection at 9am and with a pass on pitch 2 we were given the go ahead, phew.
Players began arriving at midday and by 12:45 the stage was set for the big game. The 3rd year since it’s reintroduction and perhaps an opportunity for the Chairman’s XV to take honours for the 1st time. The honourable Phil Runciman took charge on the day and called the teams to order at 13:00 thus commenced the big game and with a strong crowd in attendance it was never a letdown, in fact the rugby was some of the best we’ve seen in the fixture with a very even first half and a narrow lead for the Chairman’s squad at turn around time.
Refreshed with a lively Port at half time the game restarted and the Chairman’s tactic to influence the outcome with halftime alcohol began to succeed as the President’s XV began to blow and the home team pulled away to take the Festive cup for the first time.
Some highlights on the day ...
Another great day and another great fixture at the club well done to the players, very entertaining ... and a big thank you to the large crowd for their support on the side and in the bar as always.
- Sandy Edington supporting the officials by providing personalised officiating for the Chairman’s skipper, Jack Young who in turn provided a personal talking point in that he managed to navigate through the entire match with a mere yellow card rather than his customary red.
- Charlie Parry 5 metres clear of his own 22 and looking for the line....straight out on a fairly horizontal angle and clearing touch by 20 metres.
- Will Spriggs, sprinting (kind of) 40 metres trying to straighten but getting nowhere near, running out of steam, slipping an offload in and then proceeding to empty his whole stomach, spleen and bladder onto the pitch through his mouth.
- Josh Bird, no comedy effort here, what an engine. MOM.
- Liam Oliver coming through a ruck so late to hit Alex Kerley that everyone else had moved into the 2nd half without him.
- Rowan Leaton SCORED A TRY.
- Jack Mason making 1 of his carries with Chris Seaby hanging on and being dragged down the pitch 20 metres....Choccy Watson observing “He’s like a bad anchor”.
Ryan Sturney, Ben Hunt, Will Cooper, Rob Bowditch, Archie Mitchell, Cameron Taylor, Owain Howard, Jack Young (c), Alex Kerley, Charlie Parry, Jack Mason, Will Spriggs, Jordan Brown, Mitch Stainer, Ashton Kerley, Tom Evans.
Tom Schwierkosz, Morgan Bowen, Liam Oliver, Tom Dullage (c), Rowan Leaton, Will Gibbs, Josh Bird, Joe Pearce, James Edington, Olli Dustan, Liam Wandowski, Chris Seaby, Adam Stroud, Callum McIntosh, Barney Mason, Chris Nixon, Ed Anthony
Updated 14:52 - 23 Jan 2018 by WRFC Web Admin