Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Wimborne RFC


1st XV - Match center

Sat 2 Dec 14:15 - South West Division - South West 1 East Full time

A bonus point for Wimborne in closely fought match


Try: M Corbin
Conversion: M Tipping
Penalty: M Tipping

Following the aborted trip to Stratford-upon-Avon the previous week, Wimborne were back on the road again with the journey up to Oxfordshire on Saturday to play Witney.
Again a much changed team took to the field at a dull and misty Hailley Road ground with young Full back Max Tipping making his senior debut and Ben Hunt in at hooker for his first start in the first team for nearly a year.
It was Witney who made the early running intent on using their strong running centres to try and punch holes in the Wimborne defence. Despite the home team's early pressure, a combination of handling errors in the tricky conditions and resolute Wimborne defence meant the Wimborne line remained uncrossed.
Both sides could have taken the lead in the first quarter but respective penalty kicks at goal went wide of their target.
Gradually Wimborne with their forwards putting in a valiant shift began to get themselves some decent field position and albeit against the general run of play were first on the scoreboard when Miles Corbin found himself in possession around the twenty two metres line and ran with purpose to make the line just wide of the posts. Tipping converted to ease Wimborne in to a 7-0 lead.
This was to remain the score line at half time as in the final few minutes of the half Wimborne once again repelled a late onslaught on their line to maintain the hard fought lead.
The second half was an equally tight affair, with neither side able to achieve any obvious ascendancy but it was Witney who again made the early running. After a series of penalties and reset scrums, the referee determined that Wimborne had transgressed once too often and awarded the home team a penalty try for their efforts.
Back came Wimborne though, and within five minutes had put their noses in front again when Tipping held his nerve to send over a penalty kick after Witney infringed at a ruck.
In the gathering gloom with the floodlights full on, Wimborne knew they were going to have to tough it out for the final third of the match. The vital score was to come when with just over fifteen minutes to go and with one of the very few back line moves from either side on the day, Witney broke down the right wing and after a couple of missed tackles, their winger went over for the decisive score.
Further disruption followed for Wimborne when skipper Declan Foley and Jack Mason were both forced to leave the field with leg injuries. Try as they might thereafter, Wimborne could just not get themselves into those parts of the pitch needed to put Witney under sufficient pressure to force any further scores.
Wimborne could not be faulted for the effort put in to the match but for the second consecutive time came up short by a couple of points.
NEXT WEEK Wimborne host high flying Banbury for what will be the final home match for 2017.

Wimborne team:
15 Max Tipping 14 Nathan Warren 13 Jordy Brown 12 Jack Mason 11 Lewis Mitchell
10 Ryan Maidment 9 Liam Donnell 8 Jack Cook 7 Miles Corbin 6 Darren Degeura
5. Declan Foley(capt) 4 Robert Hay 3 Ben Davies 2 Ben Hunt 1 Sean Murphy
Replacements: Paul Roberts Terence Galdes Michael Pride
Coaching & Management : Giles Hewson, Matt Lishman, Dan Draper , Chris Leaton

Book your OPRO mouth guard day!

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up


# Team Pl Pts
8. Witney 26 65
9. Stratford Upon Avon 26 60
10. Swindon 26 53
11. Wimborne 26 53
12. Marlow 26 39
13. Grove 26 33
14. Bicester 26 19


Club sponsors